Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Guilt of a Mother


For the first 6 months or so of my daughter's life I was dedicated to journaling her every move.  What she ate, how much she grew, what she did - every milestone was recorded.  Then came the ear infections.  

Sleepless nights, doctor's visits and killer antibiotics.  We were all miserable.  Finally our pediatrician recommended PE tubes and 3 weeks later we handed our baby girl over to a nurse who vowed "to take good care of her." Two weeks after that, life could not have been any more different.  We finally got to experience sleeping through the night on a regular basis again and my husband and I were able to claim our bedroom back!

That's not to say there were no happy times during the ear infection phase.  Zoe learned to crawl, pull up, cruise and walk all before her tubes were put in.  But none of those milestones (the big ones!) were recorded in such a way as the ones before.  And I cannot tell you how this weighed on me.  So badly that I couldn't pick up the pen again.  I would tell myself "It's been too long."  She won't understand all the time that has gone by.  I'll just hide that first journal away and she'll never know!  

Today, I read a blog on a parenting website and thought what a great way to pick up the habit again.  So, from today forth, I am putting away my guilt and starting over.  Going backwards is harder than recording in the moment.  Details are lost - but the big picture remains.  I think that is all that is needed to let my little girl know that she is loved.  That the events in her life are monumentally important to both myself and her Daddy.  To let her know that she is our world!

No comments: